Skip to main content

Four CyberPunk Short Stories

All Readings (5 points)


Fragments of a Hologram Rose by William Gibson (1 point)

I found this work to be a little jarring and confusing just in terms of the general jargon related to the use of immersive sensory technology, but once I had re-read it a few times it was easier to understand the context of the world and the character within it. I do hope that someday technology could progress to this level of recording the human experience and then allowing others to participate in that sensation through a recording of it. In some ways, it reminds me of the mechanics of The Giver by Lois Lowry where you can take and receive memories or experiences from others and experience them yourself. I like that it also utilizes the concept that not all recording memories will be pleasant and could also record very dark or tragic moments in people's lives.

Rock On by Pat Cadigan (1 point)

Okay, a lot more clarity on this one, even if it took me a second to jump from religion to music. I really enjoyed the graphic detail as well as the slang for the world-building, and how Gina spoke. It was also a little heartbreaking to realize the true use of sinners and the less than optimal lives that they live. Still, a really interesting parallel between the current atmosphere in the music industry and the many pitfalls within it, as well as how so many things could change in the future with technology but still hold the same issues. Things like being drugged, contained, and forced to continue to produce music even when you don't want to. It feels like that could be agony, but I loved the concept of the work overall.

Johnny Mnemonic by William Gibson (2 point)

I've only heard of this story mentioned in class, and well as the movie with Keanu Reeves, but this was really fun short story that I'm almost positive the movie probably butchered. My favorite part but also the most confusing part was the lack of clarity through the terms used in explaining the situation. I enjoyed the language that they used and how casual everything felt alongside being very visceral. But I didn't really understand Eddie's purpose and why he was on the run until after the story was more than halfway through due to the crazy lingo. The mechanical dolphin was also cool, but incredibly sad in a sense that they were a mistreated verteran dolphin. Overall, very intriguing with the mafia mechanics and using humans as data recepticals, but I do hope that we don't become human hard drives in the future.

Tales of Houdini by Rudy Rucker (1 point) 

I know technically nothing bad happens to Houdini in this story, but I heavily relate with his mother in the concern that one of these tricks is going to get him killed. I'm really not sure of the setting or how Houdini is actually surviving. Has he been brought to the future, or is it this within his own time period? It was a very fun story, albeit just naturally tension-filled which was pretty immpressive to me in terms of writing, but short stories like these leave me with more questions than answers. 




Comments