Skip to main content

A Hitchhiker's Guide

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Radio Episodes (6 Points)


Out of all the things I wish existed from this science fiction work, I think the Babel Fish would be the first. Although I'd be much more worried about cleaning my ears and this is the one device I think humans might be able to make with their own language in the next fifty years, I find the concept of being able to understand anything from anyone at any given space quadrant is an incredibly useful tool. Well, besides a towel. I think a guide to the galaxy would also come in handy if traversing time and space and found the whole premise of Douglas Adams's work to be, well, novel! 

This audio drama shared some roots in the animated "Yellow Submarine" film by the Beatles if Doctor Who was taken along for the ride. A lot of the nonsensical and frivolous details of a story being delivered in a nonchalant deadpan always gets a laugh out of me. The sci-fi elements are serious in their construction and feel very legitimate, but they don't take themselves too seriously so as to kill the humor of the story. The main character, Arthur, was just enough of a bloke for me to feel more at ease about not knowing what the hell was going on because I was sure I at least knew more than Arthur, but he also served as a good moral compass and relatable character for us human lifeforms. My favorite character would have to be Ford Prefect, who seems to be the most reliable guide to the universe as he is making edits to the Hitchhiker's Guide himself, as well as saving Arthur from Earth before its destruction. I both humored worried by Marvin, who was an emotional robot proto-type who seemed far too depressed to travel the galaxy, but who am I to judge? 

Without spoiling too much, I think the audiobook is a really fun and inventive look at the sci-fi world that is really just a magnified version of humanity and traversing it without having really intense repercussions. I loved the funky monologues and attention to detail and was completely ready to start star-hopping after listening to it!

Comments